2 spaghetti squash (1/2 per person)
Anchovies in EVOO
1/2 yellow onion diced
3 cloves of minced garlic
1 tbsp capers
9 Roma tomatoes boiled, skinned and rough chopped (3-4 tomatoes per person)
2 tbsp chopped basil
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Slice spaghetti squash lengthwise, deseed and rub inside with EVOO, salt and pepper to taste. Place squash face down on a tinfoil lined baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes or until easily pierced by a fork.
2. While squash is cooking, add 2-3 tbsp of EVOO and 3 anchovies to a medium/hot pan. Cook anchovies stirring often until they break down and incorporate into the oil. Once cooked, the anchovies will provide a nutty/earthy base for your sauce.
3. Add onion to anchovy base and sauté until translucent.
4. When onion are translucent add minced garlic and capers. If needed add a little more EVOO to make sure garlic does not dry out and burn. Cook until garlic is slightly browned and capers begin to break open.
5. Add tomatoes and their juices to the onion mixture, lower heat to low/medium and cook. Occasionally stir until tomatoes begin to break down.
6. Once tomatoes are almost broken down add 2/3 of the grated parmesan and cook for 5 minutes, making sure cheese melts and begins to thicken the sauce.
7. Turn off the heat and stir in parsley and basil.
8. Let the sauce sit while prepping the squash. With a fork break up the squash by scrapping it away from the skin. Serve either in the skin or a pasta bowl, top with sauce, remaining cheese and fresh basil.
9. Finally, enjoy!
Everything in this recipe aside from the minimal cheese are great sources of nutrition, the fresher the ingredients the better the flavors will come together to create a clean and delicious meal!