It happens to us all… overworked, stress filled weeks that kick your butt no matter how hard you work. The inspiration for this post came because this week has been one of those weeks for me. I feel like keeping my head above water is the most I can mange. That said, I have been doing my best to make sure these 5 things are a part of my day. I share them in hopes that they will help you the next time a week in your life seems impossibly long.
- Hydrate – Water is your best friend when stressed. Really, water is your best friend at all times, but it’s much easier to forget when your mind is in a million different places. Staying hydrated keeps both body and mind running smoothly.
- Eat – Another thing that I forget when I am stressed is eating especially eating the right foods. No matter what you have going on, a bag of chips on the run or skipping a meal all together is unacceptable. Pull yourself away from your screen for 30-minutes and eat, I promise your computer won’t run away while you’re gone.
- Smile – The simple act of smiling is a stress reliever. Don’t be the grouch in the corner overstressed and frowning. It’s not a good look.
- Take a walk – Doesn’t have to be a long walk, but pulling yourself away from something that has your laser focus is always a good idea. Who knows, a 10-minute walk may help clarify whatever you’re working on.
- Wind down – At some point you are going to have to sleep. Before that happens, tear yourself away from all screens, meditate or calm your mind and move slower than you normally would. Laying your head on the pillow while your mind is still racing will only result in fitful sleep.
Leave a comment below and let me know how you destress.